What is Management's #1 Blind Spot?
I love reading Harvey Schachter’s Careers column in Saturday’s Globe and Mail. Last week, Harvey wrote about nine common complaints by employees about their leaders – the Nine Fatal Flaws as he calls them – extreme behaviors that limit a manager’s effectiveness and in some organizations impedes their road to the top job.
Two points struck me about this study of over one thousand leaders, summarized in the Harvard Business Review:
- One-in-three of us exhibit a fatal flaw but are completely unaware of it, despite the fact those around us are very aware of our blind spot. Hmmm… wondering what mine might be.
- These flaws are not fixed or innate. They demonstrate a lack empathy aka emotional intelligence, time or basic social skills.
The #1 Fatal Flaw
What do you think the #1 fatal flaw cited in a recent Harris Online 360 degree study was?
- Unrealistic workload and timelines
- Berating behaviors/bullying
- Not recognizing employee achievements
Click HERE for the answer>>>
Posted on Wed, August 1, 2018
by Kurt McDowell filed under