More than Half of Employees Plan to Leave Present Job When Economy Improves
Are you an employer of choice?
According to a most recent survey, more than one half of employees plan to leave their present jobs when the economy improves. They said:
- 60% — Yes, I intend to leave
- 21% — Maybe, so I’m networking
- 6% — Not likely, but I’ve updated my resume
- 13% — No, I intend to stay.
Frightening statistics. But employees feel that they have not been treated well through the current economic climate. Either through a lack of top-down communication, the increased workload from layoffs, or disgruntled management.
What is your solution right now?
- Create a fun workplace – unhappy employees are rarely productive
- Stress the employee/manager relationship -people don’t leave companies…they leave managers!
- Be consistent and regular with recognition
- Become an employer of choice
- Be excellent at communication
- Offer great career opportunities
- Deliver on the promise of work-life balance
How does recognition help?
- Recognition (a positive reinforcer) causes performance to recur
- Recognition motivates employees to stretch – perform over and above
- Recognition identifies role models Recognition communicates that people are valued (a driver of engagement and loyalty
- Recognition fosters a sense of community
Posted on Fri, December 4, 2009
by Kurt McDowell filed under